Never leave your dryer running unattended or while you sleep!
KTLA-TV reported the firefighters used a plastic bag and makeshift oxygen mask to save four hamsters.
Authorities said Lacey Fire District 3 officials responded to the fire in Olympia on Friday afternoon.
“We have a whole aid kit we use in house fires that fits dogs and cats. We don’t have anything that small, but we’re pretty good at improvising,” a Lacey Fire District Three battalion chief said.
One of the hamsters did not survive, but officials were happy to have helped save the other four.
Authorities said the fire started when a woman turned on her dryer then left the home to go to a friend’s house.
The woman said she returned home shortly after responding firefighters began fighting the blaze and said her children were at school, but their pet hamsters were inside.
Firefighters said they then found two adult hamsters and their three babies next to a marriage certificate filled out with crayons.
“Apparently they were married… The family had made a marriage certificate for Oreo and Madonna. It was pretty cute,” Hulse said referring to the adult hamsters.
The adult hamsters appeared to be fine, but two baby hamsters were sluggish and one was not moving.
Standard oxygen tubing was placed over one hamsters face and two others were put into a plastic bag that was pumped with oxygen.
“We have a whole aid kit we use in house fires that fits dogs and cats. We don’t have anything that small, but we’re pretty good at improvising,” Hulse said.